Winged eyeliner is one timeless classic, a beauty staple that has stood the test of time, gracing the eyes of icons from Cleopatra to Amy Winehouse. It’s a look that can elevate your eye makeup game from ordinary to extraordinary in just a few strokes. But mastering the perfect winged eyeliner can be a bit like nailing a perfect soufflé—it requires precision, patience, and practice. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into everything you need to know about achieving that flawless flick.
From understanding the nuances of different eye shapes to selecting the best eyeliner look for you, this article is your ultimate roadmap. So, whether you’re a makeup novice or a seasoned artist looking to refine your skills, buckle up!
Unveiling the Mystique: The Winged Eyeliner Look
The winged eyeliner look is more than just a makeup trend; it’s an expression of elegance and confidence. It’s the subtle flick at the corner of your eye that says, “I’ve got this.” But achieving this look is often easier said than done. OK, let’s get to the art of creating the perfect winged eyeliner for your eye.
Tailoring the Wing: Eyeliner for Every Eye Shape
How to Sport Winged Eyeliner Regardless of Your Eye Shape
Every eye is unique, and the winged eyeliner that looks stunning on your best friend might not have the same effect on you. Fear not! Here’s a breakdown of how to tailor your wings to complement any eye shape:
Focus on elongating the eye by extending the wing outward.
Monolids and Hooded Lids
Opt for a thicker line to make your eyes pop.
Balance the look by thickening the liner at the outer corner.
Lift your eyes by extending the wing slightly upward.
Lucky you! Most liner looks will suit you well.
Adjust the thickness of the liner to create symmetry.
Cat-Eye vs. Winged Eyeliner: Spotting the Difference
While both the cat eye look and winged eyeliner styles involve extending the liner beyond the outer corner of the eye, they are distinct looks. The perfect cat eye is usually bolder and more dramatic, extending both the upper and lower lash lines, while the winged liner look is more subtle and typically involves only the upper lash line.
Crafting a Long-Lasting Look: Eyeliner That Stays Put
Secrets to Making Your Eyeliner Endure the Day
There’s nothing more frustrating than crafting the perfect wing, only to have it smudge or fade within hours. Here are some tips to ensure your eyeliner stays put:
- Prime Your Lids: An eye primer can create a smooth base and enhance longevity.
- Choose Waterproof Formulas: Opt for waterproof eyeliner to prevent smudging.
- Set with Eyeshadow: A little eyeshadow can help set your liner in place.
Filling in the Gaps: Perfecting Your Lash Line
For a seamless eyeliner for your eye shape, don’t forget to fill in the gaps along your upper lash line. Use a gel pencil or liquid liner to dot between your lashes, creating the illusion of fuller lashes and a smoother line.
A Step-by-Step Tutorial: How to Apply Winged Eyeliner for Different Eye Shapes
Round Eyes: Crafting the Perfect Wing
For round eyes, the goal is to elongate the eye. Start by drawing a thin line along the lash line and extend it slightly upward at the outer corner.
Monolids and Hooded Lids: Making Your Eyes Pop
For monolid eyes and hooded lids, a thicker line works wonders. Begin at the center of your lash line and gradually increase the thickness as you move outward.
Upturned, Downturned, and Asymmetrical Eyes: Balancing the Look
Whether you have upturned eyes, downturned eyes, or asymmetrical eyes, the key is to balance the shape. Adjust the angle and thickness of your wing to create a harmonious look.
Almond Eyes: The Versatile Canvas
Almond eyes are versatile and can carry off most liner looks. Feel free to experiment with different angles and thicknesses.
Discovering Your Signature Style: Winged Eyeliner Edition
Finding your signature winged eyeliner look is like discovering your favorite coffee order—it’s personal and tailored to your taste. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different products, from gel eyeliner to felt tip eyeliner, and techniques to apply winged eyeliner that what works best for you.
Pro Tips for Perfect Eyeliner Wings
Winged Eyeliner Tips and Tricks
Here are some easy winged eyeliner hacks to help you achieve the perfect flick:
- Use a Stencil: If you’re a beginner, a stencil can guide you in creating precise lines to make the shape of your wing.
- Steady Your Hand: Rest your elbow on a table to stabilize your hand to get perfect, precise lines.
- Start Small: Begin with small strokes and gradually build up the line.
- Clean Up with Makeup Remover: A makeup remover-dipped cotton swab can fix any mistakes.
Completing the Look: Mascara Magic
To finish off your winged eyeliner look, don’t forget to add a coat of mascara. This will open up your eyes and make your lashes look lush and voluminous helping you achieve the perfect winged eyeliner.
Top Picks: Best Eyeliners for Crafting Eyeliner Wings
When it comes to selecting the best eyeliner for your wings, you have options:
- Liquid Eyeliner Pen: Offers precision and a clean line.
- Gel Eyeliner Pencil: Provides a softer, smudgable line.
- Felt Tip Liquid Eyeliner: Ideal for creating sharp, defined wings.
Liquid Eyeliner Pens
- NYX Professional Makeup Epic Ink Liner: This affordable option offers a high-impact pigment and a flexible tip for easy application.
Gel Eyeliner Pencils
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil: This creamy, waterproof pencil comes in a variety of shades and glides on smoothly.
Felt Tip Liquid Eyeliners
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner: Renowned for its precision and staying power, this liner allows you to create sharp and defined wings.
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara: An affordable option that fans out lashes for a sensational effect.
Maybelline Lash Sensational Sky High Washable Mascara Makeup, Volumizing, Lengthening, Defining, Curling, Multiplying, Buildable Formula, Very Black, 1 Count$9.98
- e.l.f. Cosmetics Shadow Lock Eyelid Primer: A budget-friendly primer that preps your lids for smoother application.
e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer (83401/Clear) e.l.f. Shadow Lock Eyelid Primer (21711) Beauty Kit (2 Packs ) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐$14.99
- Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water: Gentle and effective, this micellar water is perfect for cleaning up any eyeliner mistakes.
Mastering the perfect winged eyeliner is an art form that can elevate your makeup look to new heights. With practice, our best tips, patience, and the right tools, you can transform your eyes into a mesmerizing canvas. So, grab your eye liner pen steady your hand when applying eyeliner and let your creativity soar. Remember, makeup is a form of self-expression, so don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own.
Over time, you’ll become more confident and skilled at achieving that perfect winged eyeliner look. Mastering the art of winged eyeliner takes practice, patience, and the right tools. With a steady hand and a good eyeliner pen, you can create a mesmerizing and captivating look. So, embrace your creativity and have fun with your makeup. Let your wings fly high!
1. How do I prevent my winged eyeliner from smudging?
Opt for waterproof formulas and set your liner with eyeshadow to ensure longevity.
2. Can I wear winged eyeliner if I have hooded eyes?
Absolutely! Opt for a thicker line to make your winged eye makeup look pop.
3. What’s the best eyeliner for creating a winged look?
Liquid eyeliner pens and felt tip eyeliners are great for precision, while gel pencils offer a softer look.
4. How do I find the right angle for my wing?
One of the easiest ways to find the right angle is to imagine an extension of your lower lash line. Use this imaginary line as a guide to draw the initial flick of your wing. This method ensures that the wing complements the natural shape of your eyes.
Also checkout Top 17 Eye Makeup Tips